Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday's Makings: Peanut Butter Cereal Cookies

Today's recipe will be super easy and most kids love these.  I have one that doesn't.  He doesn't like peanut butter.  Weird.

I first made these using corn flakes from a recipe titled Aunt Ruth's Corn Flake Cookies.  I loved them.  They were a drop cookie.  I took them to work one time and I was informed that they were Special K cookies.  Then my mind began to turn.  I always have Cheerios.  I don't always have corn flakes.  I tried them with corn flakes.  Fantastic!  I tried making them easier by spreading them in a pan.  That was the ticket.  Now we have Cereal Bars.  I still make them as drop cookies for corn flakes, though.


They are still a little warm there and not completely holding their shape but you get the idea.

Ingredients:

1 cup white sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 cups cereal of your choice (fresher is better. If the cereal has been open a while, crisp it back up by putting it on a cookie sheet in the oven @ 350°F for a few minutes.)

Grease a 9.5" x 13" cake pan. Mix sugar and syrup in a large sauce pan.  This is a 4 quart but I was only making a partial batch.  None of the kids are here and I really don't need to eat an entire batch.


Over a medium heat, stirring occasionally bring the sugar mixture to a boil.  If you boil it for too long the cookies become harder.  So, just get to a full boil that dissolves the sugar.


Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter.  I generally don't measure the peanut butter.  So, I can tell you if you get too much peanut butter they will not be as firm.


Once the mixture is uniform, stir in the cereal.  If making bar cookies, transfer to the greased pan and let cool.  

The other option is to drop them by spoonfuls onto wax or parchment paper.

You could add mini chocolate chips into these or even frost them after they are cool but we love them just like this.

Now, off to the sewing room.  I plan to be back with a Design Wall post later.

Mary

p.s.  I made these this morning because I wanted them for breakfast.  I know.  Really bad,  but I am the grown up now.

1 comment:

  1. Your cookies sound wonderful. I may have to try them sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from people. I have turned word verification back off. We will see how that works.