Monday, July 30, 2012

Tetris QAL Catch Up: Week 1 & 2

Hello, all!

Last week I posted about joining Melissa's Tetris QAL.  (It is the previous post)  I had great intentions but night shift so kicked my butt last weekend.  Then may kids all decided to come home.  You get the picture.  I didn't do anything!

I was supposed to work this past weekend but took Saturday off to be with the kids.  We have some temporary summer help and she wanted the hours.  So, it was  a win- win.  I will just say that between 9:00 p.m. Friday night and 9:00 p.m.  Saturday my dishwasher was ran FIVE times.  I did a lot of cooking but no sewing.

I am off today and back on nights again tomorrow.  I made these blocks my priority.  Did I mention I had not cut the fabric yet??  I was trying to decide on a size.  I debated and calculated and mulled... Finally, I got out the Tetris game and looked at it.  I can be a little anal wrapped up in the details at times.  I wanted room to have a block or two "falling" when the quilt was done.  I decided to cut my fabric at 4" and make the six blocks in the quilt along and then two more on top with whatever sticks up and one falling, I hope.

After cutting wrong twice, here are my fabrics.

 The bottom right IS purple. I was having a hard time getting it to show true today and then the camera battery died.  I don't know why.  I charged it before I went to Texas.......in March!

Being a week late I noticed folks were taking pictures of their grid.  So, I did, too. Coloring has never been a strong point for me.


Melissa's directions called for white as the filler but I wanted black like the game.  I wish the detail on the fabric showed up better.  All of them are prints of some sort.  The orange has a little diamond design in it.  I now wish I had not used that pink batik. It is flimsy and it stretches too much.

This is Week 1


Here is Week 2.  See the orange and red in the first row are carry over from Week 1.


Tomorrow she publishes the tiles for week 3.  Hopefully I can get it done before I go to work tomorrow and be caught up!.

Thanks for looking.

Going to do another post today about other quilty things.

Keep Stitchin'!!
Mary

p.s.  I didn't want to rethread another machine or move anything.  So, I am just doing these on the Janome 6600.  I do love that machine but it is kind of noisy right now.  I need a new bobbin case after a broken needle.  Don't ask.  It was ugly.  Brought my husband up the stairs to laugh at me as I muttered and cursed.

2 comments:

  1. Looking good, Mary! I'm using black squares for the empty spaces, too. Well black with little dancing skeletons.
    You have a good idea about additional blocks showing falling tetris :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to have you along for the Quilt-a-long!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from people. I have turned word verification back off. We will see how that works.