Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday's Makings: Taco Pizza

I did not forget about posting recipes.  Last week I was traveling.  I had a plan for this week but I forgot to take pictures.  So, I took some tonight.

Tonight we were having leftover tacos.  I use the components up by making a deep dish pizza.


It really is good.  For a while we did not have this because my walking, talking appetites - also known as my sons - did not make for leftovers.  AND this pan was not big enough to feed all of them (it is a 12" skillet).    But now they have grown and only come home to clean up my leftovers on the weekends.

Back to the recipe.  I make a cornmeal crust that is basically polenta

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 cup cornmeal

1/4 cup Parmesan with 1 whole egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400°F.  Prepare the pan by lightly oiling and sprinkling with cornmeal.

Bring the liquids and salt to a boil.  Gradually stir in the cornmeal.   Remove from heat and mix until a smooth stiff dough is formed.  Add the Parmesan and egg at this point.

Place the mixture in the pan/skillet.  Oil your hands and use them to shape edges (I did not do this tonight.  More on that later!).  It should look something like this.



Bake for 20 minutes.  It will still look about the same when it comes out but won't be sticky anymore.

Add toppings and bake 25 more minutes.  For toppings I spread the leftover refried beans.  Top that with the meat.  I then layer on some salsa and maybe green chilies.  I add a little cheese and then put the vegetables.  Tonight I put green peppers, onions, olives and the leftover tomatoes. I top it with more cheese.

You can refrigerate it at this point.  I used to make it up as I cleaned up the kitchen.  Then I had a quick meal for the next night.

Bake for about 25 minutes.  Serve with sour cream and more salsa or hot sauce if you like.

We really like it.  It is also handy because the kids or the husband can pop it in the oven to cook and it will be ready when you walk in if it is a busy night.  Hope you enjoy it!

Mary

3 comments:

  1. I've decided to start doubling my recipes so everyone gets plenty...kids are bottomless pits aren't they?! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious - my husband loves anything Mexican so it sounds like one that would be a big hit here. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mexican food and am intregued by your polenta-esque crust! Thanks for sharing with Tuesdays at the Table. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from people. I have turned word verification back off. We will see how that works.