Monday, March 5, 2012

Design Wall Monday: Crazy Quilt Jacket

I am still working nights.  Yesterday when I got up I managed to do a little cutting.  Today I did some placement.

Here is the story.

I have observed on a couple of different occasions a crazy quilt type jacket in pastels at The Stitching Post in Washington, Indiana.  As the years have passed I have found more interest in using my decorative stitches on the various machines and love this idea for that.  I made up my mind I would make one to wear when I fly to the quilting retreat.... next week!

I have hundreds of patterns and was sure I would find one that would work.  I did but it was not for the size I am now!  That is fine.  I have enlarged and reduced patterns for years.  I wanted to use poly batting for it so that it didn't distort with washing.  When I went to Rilleda's to get the fabric I need to finish various UFOs she showed me a beautiful poly batting from Quilter's Dream that felt like cotton.  I loved it. 

She also showed me the new Fig Trees collection, California Girls.  I will be honest that I generally am not a fan of this designer.  This time she has added a blue to her collection and that makes all the difference for me.  I was going to link to the collection but you can see it all in a picture below.  I bought a layer cake.

Today I finished cutting the batting and forced myself to randomly cut the fabric.  That is nearly impossible for me.  It offends my CDO. 

I began to put the fabric on the batting.  I was using a spray adhesive.  I discovered that I can't pick it back up off the batting very easily and that is good because it keeps me from rearranging for "perfect".

Here is how I started.


I found myself lining the straight edges up parallel/perpendicular with the pattern edges.  I made myself start working all over the piece.

This is how it ended.




I think I like it.  The color in the picture isn't completely true.  The peaches seem very orangy.

Once again, my design is on my floor.  I have to do the rest of the pieces and start sewing.  I am seriously doubting I will get it done before Texas but I am going to try.

Going to link up with Patchwork Times for her Design Wall Monday.

Hop on over there and see what everyone is doing.  It will inspire you!

Keep Stitchin'!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from people. I have turned word verification back off. We will see how that works.