Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rosie is Done and Saturday Project for Hubby

I finished Rosie!  I actually finished her last week on Wednesday but I spent the next two days at the hospital with two different family members. I am thinking of endowing a parking spot.

I decided Rosie was a skill builder.  So, I tried a lot of new things or practiced things I am not very good at.



She didn't turn out too bad.  She now has a hard bottom.  I was going to use cardboard by my husband had some 5mm plywood I ended up using.

This is the back.  I used some of the decorative stitches on my MC6600 for quilting. 


I started out with the bigger stitch because it reminded me of rivets.  I got bored with that.  I was on night shift and lacking sleep.  I switched to the smaller pattern and liked how it looked and that it went so much faster.  The thread is a Coats and Clark embroidery thread.  My embroidery machine does not like it for embroidering but handled it just fine for this application.

I lined it.  I wanted pockets but did not want to add weight with the lining.  To keep the pockets from pulling through I sewed the dividing seams from the back and used the selvages I had trimmed off, doubled over to reinforce.   I used three more decorative stitches - back on the Janome - this time and used Halo glitter thread in the bobbin.  I have never done "bobbin" work.  I plan to try more.



It is a little hard to see but there it is.  I did the seam on the right first.  My tension was not correct.  I adjusted some and the next two looked better.

Finally, the bag got straps and a key fob so I am not digging for them.




It was completely self lined. I pulled it through a hole in the bottom of the bag and then stitched it closed.  I top stitched around the opening to give it more form.  I wish I had top stitched my side seams but did not see that until it was together.

I like it.  It will hold my "journal", my blocks and my show 'n' tell when I go to my BOM meeting.

Last Saturday my husband was on a cleaning frenzy in the basement.  He asked me to make something to go on top of his gun safe.  I had a jelly roll from Connecting Threads I did not care for.  I made this.



He decided it needed to be wider after I pieced it.  Thus, the weird borders.  I also screwed up the binding on one side but I wasn't feeling like seam ripping.  So, this is as good as it gets.  I did try out another new set of groovy boards.  These are leaves.  You can't see them in this picture but I like them.  I would take another pic but he now has most of it hidden with all the crap treasures he keeps on there.

Hopefully I will link this up with Amanda Jean tomorrow for Finish it up Friday.  I am cheating a little but the connection here is so much faster!

BOM meeting is Monday.  Wish me luck....I have to learn to play better with others.

Keep stitchin'!

Mary

4 comments:

  1. Rosie turned out awesome...love all the little details! And my mother could sympathize with all the 'crap/treasures' on top of the gun safe as my dad is the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran across that Rosie panel in a stack a couple of weeks ago! I'm inspired by your bag, it's a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have an earlier post about it when it was a WIP. I have now labeled both posts as Rosie if you want to search for them. Not that there are that many posts on my blog. LOL

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Rosie turned out wonderfully!! That is going to be just perfect for hauling your stuff around. I just love how you took something you weren't thrilled with, the jelly roll, and turned it into something so useful...and pretty!!! You just whipped it out like it was nothing!
    How are you feeling, btw??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from people. I have turned word verification back off. We will see how that works.