Friday, September 6, 2013

Friday Finish: Turning Twenty Five

Happy Friday, y'all!  I am writing this Thursday night and hope to link up with my normal parties tomorrow.  We will see how that works.  May be next week because I am on the road to NY tomorrow.  It will be a quick trip.  Going to see friends and Niagara Falls and back to Indiana.

My finish this week is a gift for the friends.  They had their twenty fifth wedding anniversary this summer.  I thought I would make a simple quilt.  What could be simpler than the Turning Twenty?  They like earth tones.  I started pulling fabrics from my stash last weekend.  I made the body and I hated it.  So, I tweaked it.


Yes, that is a Bible.  I am a heathen but I own (and read) several copies.  This is a dual version, KJ/NIV.  I added I Corinthians 13:4-8a to the border strips.  This chapter is otherwise known as The Love Chapter.  I had to take a little creative license with some of the wording to get them to fit.  Nothing to change the meaning.  I changed "love" to "it" occasionally and once dropped the "always".   When I was younger I was lead to believe that was a sin.  Turns out, I don't agree with a lot of what I learned from "Nazarene biddies" when I was young!  They are probably spinning in their graves but I am betting on Jack and Becky liking the sentiment here.


I was pleased with the overall effect.  The embroidery is done in a Charcoal Sulky thread.



Some are a little harder to read from a distance but can be seen fine in person.



I quilted this with a variegated thread from King Tut.  Number 983 if you are REALLY curious.  I used a leaf pattern for the body.


Bless my husband's heart.  He told me what he likes are the little bobbles like you see in that leaf center.  He feels like that shows I did it instead of a computer.  If he looked close enough he would find that proof about every six inches!

I did straight line quilting on the outer border and though you can't see it, I did SID around the blocks with embroidery.


Most of the fabric is from Connecting Threads. I had to order a piece for backing and found this stripe on sale, too.  So, I used it for the binding.





The backing is dark brown and I could not get the colors of the binding to look correct and it to still show.  I was able to get the stray threads to show though.  I knew y'all would want to see those!

I am pleased with this quilt.  I had planned it but didn't start it until last weekend.  I didn't start sewing until Sunday and I had it completed - including binding - by 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday.  It has close to 5 hours of embroidery in it.

Hopefully, I will manage to link up with

Richard and Tanya
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Crazy Mom Quilts

Some time tomorrow but who knows.  Have a great weekend!

Keep Stitchin'!

Mary

p.s.  My husband says we can go to quilt shops on this trip!

6 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful quilt. I'm sure your friends will love it. My husband tells me the same things about my mistakes being proof that the item is handmade. It would be nice sometimes though if there wasn't so much proof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice...you did a wonderful job. Your friends are sure to love it.

    My quilts also display qualities that they are handmade too. It doesn't bother me too much though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary .....what a beautiful quilt for your friends I am sure they will be delighted. Enjoy the trip and the quilting shops! Have fun........Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stripey bindings... Overall, it is a wonderful quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt and a great gift. Congratulations on the quick finish. I am sure they will be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt. I thought it was funny that you called yourself a heathen. I too call myself a heathen, and I grew up in the Nazarene church too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from people. I have turned word verification back off. We will see how that works.