Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Soup Kitchen

Hello, all!  Sorry for the disappearing act.  I had such great plans and then my husband struck.  He brought home some creeping crud and infected me!  Never one to do things half way, I had to develop this crud in both upper and lower respiratory with a fever he never had.

On my road to recovery but not a lot of cooking.  I wanted to make several soups for Karen's Souper Saturday.  I made one - Loaded Potato Soup.

I took this one pitiful picture.


I know, I know.  Everyone else used such beautiful bowls and nice settings.  This was my lunch at work on Thursday.  Snapped with a cell phone at the last minute.  It is really SOOOOO much better than the picture.



 Loaded Potato Soup
(As my sister says, “This ain’t Mom’s potato cubes floating in milk and butter.”)

2 cans evaporated milk
2 cans chicken broth
1 cup or so diced or shredded chicken
¼ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup finely chopped celery
¼ cup butter/margarine
4 to 5 potatoes diced into bite size pieces
Instant mashed potatoes
Parsley

Bacon and shredded cheese

Melt butter in pan. Cook onions and celery until tender.  Chicken can be added and cooked at this point or precooked is fine.   Add chicken broth and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add evaporated milk and a half cup or so of instant potatoes. Salt and  white pepper. Add more instant if not thick enough. I also like to add parsley before the potatoes but it isn’t necessary. You may have to adjust amounts to suit your needs. 


I serve with bacon bits and shredded cheddar.  My DIL tells me that the she has discovered I make the best bacon bits and there is one simple reason.  I cut the bacon up before I fry it.  I cut across the strips about ¼ to 3/8” apart and fry the pieces.   Drain well.

This obviously isn't a diet food.  Well, it is.  It is a Hungry Man Diet food.  It is very hardy and we love it.  Hope you do, too.  Hope on over to Karen's and check out all the other soups today.  I plan on trying several this winter!

Keep Stirrin'! 

Mary

2 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better soon. The recipe sounds great--I'll have to try it when the weather cools down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of curiosity, what size cans of milk and chicken broth are you using?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from people. I have turned word verification back off. We will see how that works.