Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Cyber Monday and Playing with the Treadle

Today has not been the best of days.  I had to go for my annual MRI.  It was very rough this time.  I can't eat for 6 hours before. It was at 1:30 this afternoon and I woke up at 8:00 a.m.  We ate afterward and I got sick within the hour!  Trying to remind myself of the good things of my 48 hours off.

On Saturday I mentioned my version of Cyber Monday - a sale at Connecting Threads.  They were sneaky.  I knew it would be samplers but they changed what they had available.  I also bought some clearance fabric for some projects.  I couldn't remember everything but this is what the email said today:

1 4970 * Batik Vacation Half Yard Sampler
1 4955 * Birchtree Lane Fat Quarter Sampler
1 4961 * Bits & Bobbins Half Yard Sampler
20 2187 * Bristol-Red
2 4949 * Canning Day Fat Quarter Sampler
2 4954 * Canterbury Fat Quarter Sampler
1 4589 * Christmas Cheer Stack
1 4590 * Christmas Cheer Strips
16 2901 * Cozy Indoors-Toffee
1 4599 * Fairytale Charms
1 4688 * Farmhouse Fat Quarter Sampler
1 4582 * Harvest Time Strips
8 2504 * Trees-Hollyberry
8 2505 * Trees-Leaf
1 4594 * Wilderness Strips

My SIL went to JoAnn's for me and got me 22 yards of Warm and Natural Batting.  I think my stash is full enough for most anything right now!  I have to confess when Moda's Cattails and Clovers became available I went to my LQS and bought enough to make a queen size Orion's Star for my DIL.  CT sent me an email that said thread is 40% off and they have added more samplers but I am resisting.  So far....

NO more fabric!  I am grounding myself!  Starting in January I am going to try to monitor my usage and post it here to keep me honest.  Wish me luck!

Now....playing with the treadle.  My treadle is a bit of an odd duck.  She is a Singer 9W7.  She was manufactured between 1910 and 1914.  Singer bought out Wheeler and Wilson but continued to make the same machines badging them as Singers.  That is what I have.

Mine really does look a little rough like that!  It does have the Celtic scroll work on it.  Thanks to my smart husband coming along behind me and jury rigging the problem that stymied me, she now sews!    This is what I did trying to fix her tension after the oiling and repair work:


It took some work but I got her lined out.  I think it might have been easier if Mike hadn't torqued on the tension knob!

After that I did some piecing.


I really need to work on those quarter inch seams!  It pulls the fabric really hard to the right.  I think the feed dogs need cleaned and adjusted.  But, I was happy to be able to say I sewed on her.  I am using these pieces to make place mats and potholders.  Very forgiving and then I am not wasting anything.

This is what her cabinet looks like right now:

She is a little rough!  I can make her beautiful again, I am sure.  In my sewing machine obsession I found two replacement drawers on eBay.  They are a perfect match.  Mike will put a new cross piece between the boards.  We won't have the beading work that was there.  I believe a mouse took care of that!

Someday, I hope she looks like this:



The cabinet, not the machine!

I don't feel the need for another treadle.  I love this one.  It is the first of Singer's full rotary hook bobbins.  I believe they got that technology from Wheeler and Wilson. She is quiet and had a nice stitch despite the fact she is still filthy.  I did find I can't treadle well on the carpet.  Mike made runners for under her and that made treadling easier.  He just called and said the power is out again.  See why I need a working treadle??

Keep stitchin'!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from people. I have turned word verification back off. We will see how that works.